We often get asked to create processes and methods to speed up manual tasks within the IT department at our largest client of almost 400 people.
Here are 4 of my favourite tips for faster MDT (Microsoft Deployment Toolkits) automation that saves hundreds of hours of time, inconsistencies and mistakes:
By Ben Chiciudean, NGneer®
7th December, 2016
- Making the image smaller by cleaning the setup files for installed updates, temporary files, we don’t really need these for image base. We can do this using disk clean-up and run this command as well: DISM.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
- Switch ImageX with DISM for MDT deploy/capture and you will get a reduction of between 5 and 15 minutes less. Ref on how to do it: https://deploymentbunny.com/2014/05/19/nice-to-know-switch-from-imagex-to-dism-in-mdt/
- Enable High Performance on WinPE power management as described on this article: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/deploymentguys/2015/03/26/reducing-windows-deployment-time-using-power-management/.This can gain you again 5-15minutes depending on the hardware.
- And LAST ONE if you have enough RAM, create a RAM DISK and store the capture/images there or hot plug 2-3 SSDs in RAID0.
- Total time for client image to complete (+ BIOS Updates) & Without RAMDISK or SSDs: 40minutes
- Compressed .WIM file: 30GB
- Total size on the PC: 80GB
Visit our blog again for more time saving tips.